[sf-lug] Status of SF-LUG / Linux meeting(s) @ Noisebridge? & SF-LUG web site (mis?)information thereof

Todd Hawley celticdm at gmail.com
Fri May 24 21:45:38 PDT 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 4:04 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> [me drifting a bit off topic below, which I'll have to keep an eye on]

   [as am I, so I'll keep this brief :p]

> But then I played back what I'd been seeing ever since 2006 in the
> theatre of my mind, and I realised that every front yard except mine had
> a similar look, and that absolutely -everyone- with the sole exception
> of me _hired out_ to a gardening service.  Friggin' weird.  Startling.
> And it somehow hadn't occurred to me that I was out of step, because, in
> my mind, if you own a house in the suburbs and it needs yard work,
> _obviously_ it has to be taken care of by you or others in your
> household, because that's The Way Things Are Always Done.  ...

  Weird.  A bit unsettling.

I ran into the same phenomenon when I visited the San Fernando Valley
town of my youth about 20+ years ago. All houses' front yards also had the
same identical look and some houses had a sign on the front saying
"Patrolled by <insert company name here> Security." I felt like I was in
a ST:TOS parallel universe. :p

> [CCSF LUG goes 'pfft!':]
>
> Stuff happens.  The pres. of CCSF LUG, I'm sure had her own problems,
> and she knew of no special reason to listen to my advice.  So, that
> happened.  I didn't feel _entitled_ to be listened to, so it was less
> frustrating-as-such than 'Oh well, sorry to see it go.'
>
> Maybe I should have been clutching a clipboard.  People with clipboards
> have automatic authority, don't they?  ;->

Especially if you talk like an "authority." :-) Doesn't really matter what
subject,
just sound like you know what you're talking about or as the old saying
goes:
"If you can't impress them with knowledge, baffle 'em with BS." :p Ah well.
Perhaps
someone someday will resurrect the CCSF LUG.

> [Noisebridge:]
>
> Gotta love the geek mentality, eh?  All problems can be solved with
> sufficient documentation.  The transcendant optimism of this world-view
> is almost inspiring, even at the same time as it being completely
> delusional.

Well as an ex-tech writer, I was quite impressed with the concise manner
in which the subject matter was explained and the beautifully drawn diagram
to go with it. I should point out there seems to be much documentation
that also appears delusional, but I digress.

-th