[sf-lug] Status of SF-LUG / Linux meeting(s) @ Noisebridge? & SF-LUG web site (mis?)information thereof

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon May 20 17:02:46 PDT 2019

> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 9:51 AM jim <jim at well.com> wrote:
> > I can make basic content changes, but
> > I have no clue how to re-write the
> > page to be mobile-compliant. I am
> > guessing that narrowing the page
> > width might improve mobile perception
> > somewhat.
[ ... ]

Ken Shaffer writes:
> Jim,
> Take a look at thetasystems.net for an example of a  compliant site.
> Change your browser window size to see the format change on  the fly.

It looks to me like http://www.sf-lug.org/ resizes just fine,
and actually it looks pretty good on my phone (but of course every
phone and every Android version is different).
But Google flags it as not mobile friendly and gives a screenshot
that implies very small text indeed:
https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly?id=5LlfYhGhmsMRw62yoifQnQ

What it's looking for isn't always very clear; for instance, it
requires a magic meta tag in the HTML header that's only there to
keep mobile browsers happy. I wrote up some of the tricks I found:
http://shallowsky.com/blog/tech/web/google-mobile-friendly.html

You might think that phone browsers would default to a scaling that
shows text at a readable size, and indeed, Android used to do that;
but Google changed that somewhere along the line, so modern phones
default to fonts the size of a paramecium on pages that don't add
the magic meta viewport tag.

        ...Akkana