[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday May 5, 2019

Todd Hawley celticdm at gmail.com
Thu May 9 18:43:43 PDT 2019

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 9:47 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):
>
> Much later (1979), when 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' came out with
> essentially the same plot (except with V'ger instead of Nomad), the wags
> assigned said flick the nickname 'Where Nomad Has Gone Before'.

Heh I seem to recall that when the movie came out. I also remember the
amount of "filler" in that movie but most of us didn't really care at the
time
because it was new material that featured the ST TOS cast for the first
time in over a decade. :p

I've always recommended finding a live (or non-live) distro whose
> partitioning tools you like and trust and always using _that_ for
> the task, rather than any distro installer's partitioning tools.
> Then, any inadequacies in the latter don't matter.  (Likewise, you
> can mkfs, there.)
>
> After doing your partitioning in $TOOL_OF_CHOICE, you can boot the
> distro installer and skip its partitioning routines, instead just
> supplying mountpoints for existing partitions.  Done.

Good to know. Silly me, I was unaware you could do that. Doh!

BTW the Linux Shell Handbook Bobbie mentioned the other day is a
special issue that Linux Pro seems to issue once a year and it is quite
good.
I bought the one that came out two years ago and find it quite useful
as a reference.

-th