[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday May 5, 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun May 5 16:50:43 PDT 2019

*Hola* LUGers,

     Well this was a well-attended and productive meeting. Made for a
happy *Cinco de Mayo*
for this *amiga*.
     I got to the Cafe Enchante just as the occupants of the large table
were leaving and setup
without problems.

     Joseph P. showed up first before 11 AM.  He was followed shortly by
     John S. who brought along his NUC (Intel's Next Unit of Computing
which is a very compact
form factor device featuring various processors and models) and a
monitor to use with it as well
as external CD/DVD R/W drive.

     Maestro followed shortly.
     Ken and Sunni came in with his tools.  I did not get much chance to
talk to him.
He was busy assisting other members before his departure.

     Around Noon Jim Stockford came in with two boxes of books
previously mentioned in
the mailing list.  Several attendees picked up various items. I grabbed
a volume on Scribus...
   Jim seemed to be intently reading the Linux Pro magazines including
the new special issue,
Linux Shell Handbook which he remarked is very good.  This was obtained
from the
Fog City News on Market Street below First Street, about the second door
from the
intersection on the South side of the Street.

     Someone brought in a User named Cody who accepted a bookmark with
the relevant
information to contact and subscribe to the Mailing List.  He could not
stick around.

     12:30 Aaron showed up and started to set up.

     Now I was very busy at the beginning of the meeting making Flash
Drives.
     I did the Fedora 30 Live version of Workstation and of the KDE
spin,  FatDog 64 801,
KaOS 19.04 and eventually a MX 18.02.  I already had the Ubuntu Mate
19.04 and
the Ubuntu Studio 19.04 on Flash Drives.  These were all made using
ddCopy on
PCLinuxOS64.  All of the drives worked with John S.'s NUC.

     Now Joseph P.  had a look at the Linux Pro magazines and then
kibitzed and made
suggestion as John S. tried out the stuff I had on Flash Drives
including PCLinuxOS64.
All of the FDs worked but Fat Dog is still using a WiFi configuration
tool that is best
suited to more experienced users than myself or John.  At least this
version detected
the WiFi card and was able to spot Cafe Enchante in a scan. Perhaps with
some time
  I might be able to get the configuration tool to work.
By the way Cafe Enchante has *changed the WiFi password* to notredame.

     John S. finally decided to install PCLinux on the NUC and did so
with a very little
help from me.   I used *Partition Magic* to reduce the size of the
Windows partition
and away we went. showed him how to use Synaptic for updates and by that
time
he was ready to pack up and leave. Apparently Windows was bothered by the
changes to its extent and promised John an hour or more of work to keep the
install functional.

     Aaron brought along a lot of Flash Drives and donated 3 USB 2.0 FDs
to the LUG via
me to make fresh installs of NomadBSD and Knoppix.  He is going to try
to set up a
32 bit Nomad BSD on his older machine.

     Other members have donated about $50.00 which keeps up the number
of USB drives
for future work.
     Right now we have 8 high quality 16 GB 3.0 USB drives for setting
up with portable
distros like Knoppix, Parrot and Nomad.  Other systems can be setup as
well but I copied
the directions for Parrot.   If you do not have USB 3.0 ports on your
computer a 2.0 FD
will do as well for installations.
     I also have plenty of DVDs and CDs on hand for those who prefer the
optical media.
Optical media  should be requested at least 48 hours before the meeting
due to the time
involvedin writing them.

     One member in particular is very happy with MX Linux & you can get
the manual
at <https://mxlinux.org/manuals/> and it is a nice distribution with
XFCE version 4.+.+
This is based on work done previously on Mepis and AntiX.  It is
mid-weight as opposed
to a light-weight like Puppy or its derivatives, or a heavy-weight like
Mageia or Ubuntu
Studio, Knoppix,  or Fedora Astronomy.  This can be setup as a USB for
either 32 or 64 bit
kernels or both with a persistent partition for changes.
<https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/create-a-live-usb-w-persist-from-a-windows-desktop/>
Even though it says "windows desktop" it appear that the procedure can
be easily adapted
to Linux and I will be trying to produce a prototype on one of the
donated FDs.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     About 12:55 pm I started packing up and by 1:10 left with another
Member
and got a ride back to my neighborhood with Jim Stockford.

     Next meeting will be on Monday May 20th, at the Cafe Enchante from
6-8 PM.
Hopefully I will have a notice of that meeting out by May 13.

     Bobbie Sellers