[sf-lug] USB 3.0 Flash Drives - Penguin shaped and others

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Wed May 1 09:49:52 PDT 2019

I previously wrote:
> A helpful use-case scenario for me for using a live distro booting
> with persistent storage as per #3 above is to install Knoppix onto
> a 64GB USB stick -- as the prices for this capacity seem to be
> falling over time -- and then save each individual guest Virtual
> Machine disc images from a full host install of a Virtual Machine
> Manager (e.g., the virtualbox VMM) up to ~54 GB as persistent
> storage on that selfsame 64GB USB stick.  This way, one could have
> the advantage of using Knoppix's portable live boot utilities and
> features when needed as well as having the ability to save and
> transfer guest VM disc images between different hosting systems,
> making the assumption on my end that a) the hosting systems
> themselves could be disc-space limited for containing too many
> _multiple_ VM disc images and that b) the VM disc images can/should
> optimimally be copied via the USB stick onto the hard drives of host
> systems for reasons of performance but for _limited-time-use_ on
> each host system (corrected to: because of possible disc-space
> limitations on particular hosts system.)

Additionally worth mentioning, it's actually happened before and is likely
still happening now that VMM host systems many of us might still be using
have single 1000 GB hdd's that have become and continue to become nearly
all the way filled-up with large data files including video files (e.g.,
mp4, wmv, flv, swf, avi), _large_ collections of live boot and
installation ISO files, other collections of large files, many multiple VM
disc images of >= 30 GB, ...etcetera.  Besides the obvious secure backing
up of _all_ these files in general to separate media, I essentially
consider the above limited-time-use of these USB sticks for transferring
VM disc images and transferring a limited number of additional files
to/from host system VMMs as a _specifically_ applied form of backing up
and restoring files.

-A

aaronco36 at sdf.org