[sf-lug] USB 3.0 Flash Drives - Penguin shaped and others

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Apr 30 17:18:06 PDT 2019

On 4/30/19 10:53 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
> [shopping for USB flash drives]
>
>> This is preliminary to the meeting notice for May 5th which will be
>> out next week and may make some folks interested in getting a Flash
>> Drive to run Nomad BSD or Knoppix from.
> Ja, but...
>
> USB flash drives are _painfully slow as main storage_, compared to an
> internal hard drives or SSDs.  Although running a live distro from one
> is very useful for utility purposes, to test-boot a distro, or to
> evaluate Linux driver support for hardware, it's very suboptimal for
> ongoing computer use, because of the mass-storage performance
> bottleneck.

     Either of these distributions are now desigened to provide on
suitably specced machine a
way to move your system from machine to machine.  I thought that was
clear that beyond
Knoppix's obvious utility value that Nomad BSD is designed to provide a
portable on
a USB 3.0 Flash Drive a functional Unix system.

     I can well imagine some people wanting a high capacity USB drive
for the
purpose of traveling and keeping an encrypted partition full  of materials
that they would not want to expose to unfriendly parties,
   I don't need that capability presently myself but the only way I get
around
much anymore is online.

> At a certain point, Bobbie, it's wise to, y'know, install an operating
> system, and stop incessantly kicking tires and avoiding committing.
>
> But if you want a minimum-commitment OS installation, I can recommend
> installing into VMs (e.g., with VirtualBox).  For one thing, then you
> can actually live with the installed OS, maintain it, make changes,
> etc. -- but without dedicating the entire machine to that, and with the
> ability to use the host and guest OSes simultaneously.
         For me I am committed to the use of PCLinuxOS64 as long as it
is available and updated.
     I do not expect to convert others to my POV.   I will not in the
future be likely to offer
    to install my OS on systems for converts as I have too many devices
to service now.

         Bobbie Sellers