[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday May 5, 2019 -- Linux and Unix, it is all FOSS even Unix On a Stick!

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 29 09:22:28 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

Thursday, April 18, 2019*Ubuntu 19.04 is released.*
I have downloaded Ubuntu Studio and Ubuntu Mate,
check-summed both and written to Flash Drives and
  both boot nicely.
ubuntu-mate-19.04-desktop-amd64.iso
ubuntustudio-19.04-dvd-amd64.iso

If you want to have a specific version
of Ubuntu 19.04 let me know and you
will be able to get a copy at the meeting.

Earlier in the week we got Mageia 7 beta 3
now check-summed and written to a FD but
it was Install only.
  Mageia-7-beta3-Live-Plasma-x86_64.iso
replaced the previous install only version
on the Mageia Flash Drive.
These are only advanced Betas and I hope
the final versions are out soon.
The Mageia continues the Mandrake, Mandriva
line but sadly adds systemd.  Which is why
I use PCLinuxOS 64 Plasma 5.

Got  netrunner-rolling-2019.04-64bit.iso
There are 3 versions, one based on Debian,
an Arch based version with some Manjaro
tossed in which is what I got and a slightly
smaller version called "core".

And before the last meeting  I got
NixOS 19.03. Graphical now check-summed
and written to a FD but it is install only...
nixos-graphical-19.03.172138.5c52b25283a-x86_64-linux.iso
The closest to a Live distro of NixOS seems to be
a page describing how a Live version might be
made by remastering an installed version.
      NixOS bummed me out...

*But how about a Unix on a Stick.*
Actually on a Flash Drive, portable with a MacOS like GUI
Nomad BSD is it and it is so easy to set up I managed it.
     And you need a large Flash Drive USB 3.0.  I put this
on a 8 GB USB 2.0 drive and  the system unpacks to
over 7 GB and so we have 43 MB for /home.
     Their are no games but some good tools and useful
things,  At the meeting you can see my 8 GB drive installation
running  but don't try to download to it. Encryption is available
but you will have to learn about Geli first.
     Tools (and I point out I selected some) PCFM file manager
nearly as good as Dolphin, Sakura virtual terminal but I
selected BASH, Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Galculator,
  LeafPad, Geany, Gimp and the package manager with a very
  simple Gui to use, OctoPkg.
     Checked on OctoPkg and Solitaire is represented in two
packages so games can be added.   Might check on
other packages as LeafPad is inferior to Kate and
to KWrite.

_*Late additions*_

Parrot-kde-home-4.6_amd64.iso
Parrot-kde-security-4.6_amd64.iso
Parrot-home-4.6_virtual.ova

https://parrotsec.org/

Clonezilla Live-25.6.1 in 686, 686pae and amd64
Clonezilla amd64 is now UEFI compatible.

     ========================

     A *promotional* item for meeting attendees
are a few Knoppix copies on black Flash Drives.
These have a persistent partition and the
desktop manager can be chosen by
the user from the 3 on the disk:LXDE,
KDE Plasma 5, and Gnome.
*You c*an set the root password on these
drives.  I did not create encrypted partitions
for these but if you are interested in
that I can loan out a Flash Drive and
you can create a Flash Drive with an
encrypted partition on your own
media.
     Jim S may be testing the prototype I
gave him at the last meeting.

     I still do not have access to Knoppix 8.5
but as soon as I do I will be happy to update
these or any other Knoppix drives or provide
copies of the .iso file on suitable media.

     Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Celebrate on the
Fourth of May in the Mission district San Francisco.

Come to the meeting the next day and celebrate
FOSS.

     Bobbie Sellers