[sf-lug] getting wireless drivers to work with my new pc

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 16 09:49:16 PDT 2019

And also ...

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] getting wireless drivers to work with my new pc
> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 22:47:26 -0700

> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>> On 4/15/19 7:17 PM, John F. Strazzarino wrote:
>>
>> of problems with the:
>> >Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG
>>
>> A short sweet search finds this  with download links.
>>
>> <http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/#links>
>
> _Never ever_ use upstream download links unless there really is no better
> option.[1]  (This was bad advice for multiple reasons.  You are pointing
> him to an upstream developer link, and also to source code for the
> iwl3945 driver, when it's highly unlikely he's missing the driver )
>
>> But you might need a custom kernel to get
>> this online.

And also, nowadays, not only would one typically only need to get
module and/or firmware from the distro, but even in most "worst
case" scenarios, where code exists for the kernel to support it,
one still typically wouldn't need a custom kernel, but typically
at "most" (worst case) one might need build a custom module - that's
generally it - not some custom kernel.  And most of the time
one doesn't even need build a module.