[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 15 April 2019

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 15 23:28:44 PDT 2019

Quoting Jim Stockford (jim at well.com):

> I prefer the dash shell mainly because of its man page

OK, thanks for clarifying.

> What we did to try to find dash was
> $ which dash
> I could not read the screen (I was too far away and at a bad angle),
> but given what Bobbie reported, the which command did not return a
> path to a dash shell.
>
> We tried
> $ which bash
> and Bobbie reported that the which command returned  /bin/bash
>
> We did not think simply to peruse the output of
> $ ls /bin
> to see if  dash  is in the listing.

I'm pretty sure dash _isn't installed by default_ on any Fedora 30 spin.
But it's available as an installable package called 'dash', currently
furnishing Debian Almquist SHell version 0.5.10.2, as I already showed
(see: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1185464 )

> I thought that Fedora used rpm (the redhat package manager). Is it
> really true that Fedora uses the  apt tools for package management?

Um, whut?

Nothing I wrote said or implied that Fedora uses apt tools.

Fedora uses rpm-format packages, and Fedora's current package tool
stack[1] is:

o  dnf: Dependency resolution and package acquisition
o  rpm: Low-level tool to do package insert/remove, etc.

'dnf' stands for Dandified Packaging Tool and is a replacement for yum,
the Yellowdog Updater, Modified (on which dnf is based).

Various graphical and full-screen front-ends exist for rpm-based and
apt-based toolchains, and there is some overlap because of porting work
that has been done over the years.

dnfdragora is one of those many front-ends.
dnfdragor://github.com/manatools/dnfdragora
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNF_(software)

[1] On deb-based distributions, the apt suite takes the place of
dnf/yum (as a higher-level tool for dependency resolution and package
acquisition), and dpkg takes the place of rpm (as a lower-level tool for
package insertion/removal, etc.).