[sf-lug] getting wireless drivers to work with my new pc

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 15 22:47:26 PDT 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
> On 4/15/19 7:17 PM, John F. Strazzarino wrote:
>
> of problems with the:
> >Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG
>
> A short sweet search finds this  with download links.
>
> <http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/#links>

_Never ever_ use upstream download links unless there really is no better
option.[1]  (This was bad advice for multiple reasons.  You are pointing
him to an upstream developer link, and also to source code for the
iwl3945 driver, when it's highly unlikely he's missing the driver )

> But you might need a custom kernel to get
> this online.

No, wrong.  I'm guesstimating that he never got the iwl3945
_firmware image_ and installed it under /lib/firmware.

John says he is using Slacko Puppy Linux 5.  Help specific to Puppy
Linux is here:  http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66936

[1] http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/weatherwax.html#1