[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 15 April 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 15 21:26:07 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

     Well I got to the Cafe Enchante arriving at 5:25 PM, setup by 5:35
on the large table
as the Cafe was nearly empty.  I sat there for an hour and worked on the
E6520.
On the E6520 I was merely adjusting font size and some other incidental
matter of icons
and startup screens.  Watched the first episode of an anime "Hidamari no
Ki".

     Jim Stockford showed up before 1900 and we left after I demoed a
few items to him.

     He carried off a Knoppix drive set up for persistence on the Flash
Drive and a copy of
AV Linux on a Flash Drive with the passwords written down  after I
remembered to look
  them up.  AVLinux has a multitude of audio and video editing tools.  I
don't think this is
really a distro for a laptop even one with 8 GB but for 32 GB and i7 with 6
cores or the new AMD multicore CPUs it might blaze along.  The Clipboard
might
be of some use with enough memory to handle a few seconds of video or Audio
and Video.  With a DSL or Cable Ethernet connection to the computer it would
be easy to get on line but the WiFi is retro reminding me of the stuff
we had
to type in back in the Mandriva 2006 era.  This is an xfce desktop by
the way.
It uses Synaptic for software and should be easy to update online.

         I also demoed the Fedora 30 beta with KDE for him and showed him
the alternate menu styles available on KDE.  Jim was not happy with the
terminal
available preferring the Dash terminal.  So I fired up the DNF Dragora
update
tool and did a search for it.  No Luck.  It is easy to get Fedora online.
DNF Dragora used a lot of CPU and time to give minimal results.

         07:45 PM Jim proposed leaving and I went right along with him
there.
I managed to get the equipment packed and was able to get out of the Cafe
before he left after bringing his car around.

     Always happy to have a ride home and since Jim has been ill I was a
little
surprised to have him show up.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     The rain was very light by the way on Geary.
     Next meeting is on Sunday, May 5th 2019 from 11 AM to 1 PM.
Hopefully I will submit a regular notification of that meeting about
April 29.

     Bobbie Sellers