[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday April 4,2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Apr 9 18:38:50 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

     Well I got up from my sick bed and pulled on a anti-viral mask and
went to the meeting last Sunday.
     I got there about 10:40 am and had no problems setting up the
Dell E6520.  I did some updates while I was waiting for other
Members to arrive.
     John S. showed up first .

     Maestro appeared.

     Michael  showed up to enjoy his breakfast and read some magazines.

     Joseph P.  showed up finally.

     So I had brought along Fedora 30 as
Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-30_Beta-1.8.iso
I had tested it on my machine but John S was unable to boot it on his
laptop.
Before the end of the meeting I had done so just to show the attendees
what it looked like.

     AntiX 17.4 as antiX-17.4.1_x64-full.iso   which had worked on my
Dell at
home was booted up by a member.  That member reported that it uses
ICE Window Manager but does not have a true Desktop Environment.
He also found as did I that the WiFi card, working fine with other
distributions
is  not detected by Anti-X.  He was running on a good Lenova and I of course
on my Dell.

     John S. tried a couple of other distros including Puppy 8.0 as
bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso.   At first he had problems with the
Puppy but finally got it booted and into usable shape which
did not seem to take him a long time.   He was able find his
WiFi and set it up which I had not been able to do.  John S.'s
laptop is a late model with UHD and the display is usually
at the limit of readability and it had started out that way.
But well before the end of the meeting Puppy was playing
nicely with perhaps a reduced resolution display.

I tried out MX-18.1 and while it booted it was like AntiX in
ignoring my  WiFi card.  New version of MX out this week and
will download it while i rest.

     I also tried out the latest version of EasyOS which seems more
confusing than ever.   I was trying to get it online and thought I had
done so repeatedly but found that the system was not allowing
me access.  When I have time I will check out the Firewall settings.

     Michael the Slackware user is a little out of joint as Slackware is
going away.  He did have to leave early to get to a shop.

About 12:45 I started packing up my materials and by 12:55 those
remaining had gotten outside the door.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     The next meeting will be on Monday 15 April 2019 at the Cafe
Enchante from 6-8 PM.

     Bobbie Sellers