[sf-lug] SFLUG.org

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 9 04:39:35 PDT 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] SFLUG.org
> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 23:48:46 -0700

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> The basics are there ... presuming slave(s) want to use
>> 198.144.194.238 and/or 2001:470:1f04:19e::2
>> as master, and authority wants to so delegate.
>
> OK, righty-o.  Time to crank up the secondaries.  On ns1.linuxmafia.com,

> $ dig -t soa sflug.org @ns1.linuxmafia.com +short

I used to typically do:
$ dig [...] -t type [...] domain [...]
But I've more generally gotten into the habit of:
$ dig [...] domain type [...]
Why?
Because with the latter syntax, one can easily extend to do multiple
queries with single (dig) command, e.g.:
$ dig @ns1.linuxmafia.com. +noall +norecurse +answer +nottl sflug.org.
SOA sflug.org. NS
sflug.org.              IN      SOA     ns1.sflug.org. jim.well.com.
1554781309 10800 3600 1209600 86400
sflug.org.              IN      NS      ns1.svlug.org.
sflug.org.              IN      NS      ns1.sf-lug.org.
sflug.org.              IN      NS      ns.primate.net.
sflug.org.              IN      NS      ns1.linuxmafia.com.
$
Anyway, just a suggestion.  :-)  But yes, multiple queries with a single
dig command sometimes(/frequently) comes in very handy - and if one uses
similar syntax for a single query, multiple comes more naturally,
and even in the case of single, saves typing 3 characters ("-t ").

Alas, I've not yet adjusted to delv.  :-/  Syntax is, uh, "quite similar",
... but ... "different enough" I trip over it far too frequently - thus
far.

> software, the excellent, small, fast, authoritative-only daemon nsd.

Your preferred, if I recall correctly.  And if I remember right, you've
also a nice web page on linuxmafia.com listing various DNS nameserver
software and some of the various pros/cons.

> Michael, care to knock on Aaron T. Porter's door?

Digital knock emailed (off-list) - Rick - feel free to follow up
if I/we don't hear back after some reasonable while.