[sf-lug] Domain administration (broken WHOIS)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 8 14:40:00 PDT 2019

> GoDaddy ... I'd guestimate by default they might'a set it up with a
> "parking" page or the like?  In any case, whatever's in DNS might be
> slightly (or more?) useful to have dump of that data (e.g. could avoid
> an RFC violating serial # jump on zone, or avoid "mystery" issues over
> longer TTLs that are/were in effect but subsequently "unknown" - yet
> cached elsewhere in DNS).

Al Whaley said to me in offlist mail that he's traveling, so will be
probably getting back later rather than sooner.  As I belatedly also
remembered, FYI, Al is also a seasoned DNS and domains person.

Anyway, rather than wait on those fine points, how about you just set up
a master zonefile, like, today?  Then, let me know it's available, and
I'll set up my two secondaries, and we'll get Aaron T. Porter to fire up
his, and we'll be all ready for authoritative status whenever Al feels
like doing that, and you/Grant/Jim can then, at leisure, talk to Al
about domain administration details including who Registrant should be
over the long term and where it's to be registered.[1]

IMO, it's a waste of time trying to chase after minor details like
ensuring S/N progression and worrying about long TTLs in the placeholder
zonefile.  That's non-production.  The bobbles either won't happen or
can be ironed out, and the important bit IMO is to just get the thing
done and stop geeking out over stuff that really doesn't matter.

[1] Newly registered or transferred domains may not be transferred again
within 60 days, except to the prior registrar (if any).  This is an
industry standard.