[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday, 7 April! No Joke! Not an April Fool joke!

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 1 08:24:47 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     A mini review of PartEd Magic!
   A friend of mine bought a new laptop, and he did not want
  to run Windows neither did I want him to run Windows so
  after he bought it last week I came home and
bought a copy of PartEd Magic, $11 and well worth it.
I tried it out on the machine I bring to the meetings and it
performed very well.
       Monday, 25 March I did the installation
and I was able to to boot up into the Firmware and set
the Secure Boot to off, rebooted to the PartEd Magic
via the F12 screen of boot choice and quickly reduced
the size of the SSD partition left to Windows 10.
     Then I was able to install the latest PCLinuxOS64.
The hardest part was doing the updates after the
PCLinux was installed.
     The best thing about the install was that I did not
have to look at the confusing Windows 10 interfaces
to find the MS partition manager.

         ========================

     Added to the distribution library:

  pclinuxos64-kde5-2019.03.iso   1.8 GN
  pclinuxos64-MATE-2019.03.iso  1.7 GB
Both are on Flash Drives.

     We have a new Puppy 8.0, 346 MB
bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso
It uses not systemd, but  sysvinit 2.86-x86_64_bionic
<http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/puppy-linux-80-released>

     A new version of GPartEd.
     gparted-live-0.33.0-2-amd64.iso 330 MB
     So far the other versions are lacking updates.

     Linux_Lite 4.8 is out and will be on a USB key by
meeting time.  Based in Ubuntu's LTS releases.

  Sabayon_Linux_19.03_amd64_KDE.iso along with
other Desktop Environments.
     Sabayon according to the Distrowatch Weekly
newsletter is working on liberating Gnome from
systemd dependency!
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190401>

     Ubuntu Beta 19.04 is out and so are the variants with other
Desktop Environments.   Only if someone asks for a specific Beta
will i download any of these.

NuTyX 11.0 <https://distrowatch.com/10502> is out and if you look at the
following URL you can read
about how to deal with the rather unusual installation.
<http://nutyx.org/en/downloads>
I have downloaded both the Fixed version over 5 GB and
the Rolling Release version at 383 MB.
I will be happy to get all the information I have about
this eccentric distribution and even write the iso to media
for anyone who wants it.

             =======================

     Most of the people who bother to read these notices of the
next meeting are aware I am presently getting a new set of
Flash Drives to bring to meeting and these drives have room
on the sides to write the distro name, version, etc.
     So what do I do with the old sleek black drives?  The blacK ink
in multi-color printers is usually designated K so I decided to put
Knoppix on the black drives I had already bought over the months
of the last year or so.  These are set up with Knoppix 8.2 and each
drive is created using the Knoppix tool so that you have room for your
own preferences and some data.

             =======================

     On Saturday March 30 I was able at the Fog City News to get a
copy of Linux Pro magazine issue #221 for April 2019.

     Distros of the Month; both 64 bit: MX-Linux and System Rescue CD.

Topics on the front cover:  Rabbit MQ:Multi-protocol messaging for IoT.
Monitoring Perfomance: hunting for bottlenecks that slow down your
system using "perf" built into the kernel and Netdata
     IoT Tricks: Use an Android smartphone to a Rasp Pi display
     Proton Cross-Platform gaming with Steam's Wine Fork.
     Silhouettes:Image processing with Go
     Better Voting Machines:Is Open Hardware the answer?
     Gnome Boxes: Easy virtualization with this handy KVM front end
dependent on Gnome Environment/

     Linux Voice:
     maddog: Takes a look back at the cost of computing.
     Pixelitor: Open Source image processing tool
     Network Configuration with the versatile tool "ip"

     FOSS Picks:
             Muse Score 3.0(musical)
             hexyl a hex file viewer
             weborf  sets up a simple http server

 From the inside:
             Camomile audio plugin generator
             EP-MK1 - Electric Piano emulation
             Chono time tracker
             lsix - CLI tool to display images
             MarbleMarcher - game
             qengine - a Quake engine
             Olive - a video editing tool

     Tutorials:
         Bash Flow Control
         Embedding Elements in Video Chips
         Natron more video editing

And MORE!

     Of special note to Sys Amins: Charley's Column in
which Sudoers are modified and offers increase in
number of attempts to enter passwords and an
humorous insult file to motivate the sudoer to
get that password correctly entered.
     Precise directions for altering and adding these
modifications.

     The Kitchen Sync is about using Unisom to
do file syncing, Backups and mergine by perfecting
preferences files.

     Kraft helps small companies keep up on all
sorts of business documents under the article
title: Essential Craft.

         Hope you can make it to the meeting!
         REMEMBER this notice is not a joke!

         Bobbie Sellers

/This is a joke!

  It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament
    to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they
    met too much resistance.

   /end joke....