[sf-lug] didn't try to solve ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 28 00:19:38 PDT 2019

Hi, Bobbie.  This is a really weird thing:  For some reason, you sent me
offlist mail, in response to a mailing list thread.  I really was not
seeking a sudden and unexplained private discussion, but a couple
of things stood out from your very long offlist mail:

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> I have used the bash shell when I thought it was appropriate
> to the task.  It is painful to see lot of lines
> rejected by my typographical errors and so I prefer the Graphical
> User Interface as do most computer users.

Curiously, this not only sails obliviously straight past my upthread
point about bash command completion, but also confirms my guess that you
never noticed it, despite it being bash's #1 feature.  A user who's
aware of it automatically enjoys literally zero subsequent rejection of
commands on account of mistypes.  By definition.

The good news, there, is that if you wish to pick up that _extremely_
useful trick, you easily can.  I don't know for sure what's a good &
novice-focussed introduction, but here's something I found on a quick search:
https://debian-administration.org/article/316/An_introduction_to_bash_completion_part_1

And, by the way, there's obviously nothing wrong with 'preferring the
graphical user interface', _nor did I so suggest_, neither in this
mailing list thread nor anywhere else.  To repeat a third time what I
already said on sf-lug at linuxmafia.com twice before, my point was solely
that it's nearly impossible to gather and present technical information
needed for problem-solving without using and logging (e.g., using
copy/paste) data collected using basic command-line tools.  And I
explained the reasons why.

> I find you depreciation of GUI users to be really absurd as the
> Graphical users far exceed the Virtual Terminal users, I am sure.

This is a very puzzling comment on your part, as I categorically did
not deprecate (let alone depreciate) GUI users.  This is a perception
_way_ out of left field, that has nothing to do with what I actually
wrote.

It saddens me that you seem to have 100% ignored the substance of what I
said about the practical necessity of a relevant console session for any
serious diagnosis (and why), even though I posted the same point twice
using different wording, to make sure it was clear and understandable.
It's a missed opportunity, IMO.