[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 18 March 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 20 12:33:29 PDT 2019

On 3/19/19 5:03 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>     pclinuxos-kde-darkstar-2019.0315.iso was slow booting
>> It has the latest kernel but an obsolete version of Libre Office.
>> Falkon is the only browser supplied though it runs the latest
>> kernel 5.0.2.  Darkstar the compiler for this release wanted
>> a small fast downloading system so he used links to get
>> the full versions of the applications he lists.
> Falkon (formerly QupZilla) is a pretty nice lightweight Web browser.  Also,
> again, you spend only a tiny amount of time running the installer and
> then potentially many years running the distribution.  Aren't
> your choice of other Web browsers just one easy package operation away?
> So, why does it matter that you for some reason are dissatisfied with
> Falkon?

         Because PCLinux is an ideal distribution for converts
from Windows.  I came from the Amiga with a brief stopover
at Windows XP to make my first Mandriva CDs in 2006
in order to make the old Great Quality 2.4 Megahertz
Pentium into a dual boot machine.
     That Windows like interface is one of the purposes for
which it was designed.     <https://pclosusers.com/>

     With KDE Plasma 5 it can even put up a wholly
icon-using menu just like in Gnome 3 and its sadly
deriviative works.  But I prefer text menus.
     It lets me set up tool bars/panels resembling
the Amiga which is why my personal machines
look nothing like a Windows imitation.

     Now Rick, I know all about all the different browsers
that can be downloaded but does the newcomer to Linux?
     I think not.  Nor does the newcomer know about all
the themes that can be downloaded and installed as
well as other graphical enhancements,
     Which is why I am sure that pclinuxos64-kde5-2019.03.iso
which is a 1.8 GB release is superior to the Darkstar release of
936 MB.  It has all but one of the tools I am accustomed to
using as far as I can see,

     This is on a Flash Drive and I may install it to an external
hard drive trying out a tip I recently read about the procedure.

     Now I have installed PCLinuxOS to multiple machines
some still running.  And some discarded for the use of
Linux Mint and other distributions.  But no one is going
back to Windows.

     Bobbie Sellers