[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 18 March 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Mar 19 17:58:19 PDT 2019

On 3/19/19 5:03 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

     A lot which I am too tired to deal with today,
     Rick you always assume the worst when I make mention of
any problems I have experienced.

     I don't bother reporting things i tried in order to surmount the
problems I mentioned.  They did not work.

     But here is something I did today I updated my LibreOffice
to 6.2.1 and was presented with a problem.
A file  libreoffice-openclipart  must be removed before it can
be replaced by the newer version and between removing
the file and replacing it with the new version if you want
clipart LibreOffice can be updated by LibreOffice Manager.
The file and the new version are listed here:

libreoffice-openclipart (6.1-1pclos2018 => 6.2-1pclos2019)

Have a good day Rick it is bedtime for me.

> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>>      EasyOS 1.0.13 is an update supposedly but I had a lot of
>> trouble getting online.  I.E I could not get online.  The WiFi
>> card could not be found.
> Does this merely mean that you hoped EasyOS would autofind and
> autoconfigure your wireless, it didn't work out that way, and you did no
> other attempt to diagnose and fix the problem?  I ask because your
> phrasiing 'the WiFi card could not be found', read at face value, seems
> to suggest a hypothesis about, say, the chipset not being reported by
> lspci/lsusb (whichever, as appropriate), or something like that.
>
> Bobbie, you've been working with Linux for, what, over a decade now,
> right?  Isn't it time you moved past 'Something wasn't right, so I fixed
> the problem by switching to a different Linux distribution'?
>
> You logically should have started with 'Oh, what's my wireless chipset,
> and what driver does it need'?  If you don't know, that's your _first_
> task, and you start by running lspci (if its internal) or lsusb (if it's
> on USB) to spot the wireless chipset.  Then, you use the Key Skill of
> the Early 21st Century (Web-searching) to find out what driver is
> required for that chipset.  Or, y'know, you could ask a Linux user
> group, such as you could do right here and now.
>
> Armed with knowledge of what the chipset is, you can look at system
> logfiles to see if the kernel tried to modprobe that driver, and what
> happened when it tried, e.g., if it failed to initialise the hardware
> because a proprietary firmware BLOB is required that the distro didn't
> furnish (often because it cannot lawfully do so).
>
> You could remove the driver:
>
> # modprobe -r [drivername]
>
> You could then reload the driver to see what happens (again, looking at
> the logs):
>
> # modprobe [drivername]
>
> You could run iwconfig to see whether the driver is configured.  And
> like that.
>
> Not bothering and instead giving up and switching to a different
> distribution means you have no chance to _really_ evaluate the
> distribution.  You're implicitly judging the distribution by its
> installer, which is like judging a car by its startup sound or a house
> by its front door.  You spend half an hour running through a distro
> installer, and potentially many years running it.  Shouldn't you give
> the distro a chance, by bothering to try to solve initial problems,
> rather than giving up the first time something doesn't work right for
> you?
>

>>      pclinuxos-kde-darkstar-2019.0315.iso was slow booting
>> It has the latest kernel but an obsolete version of Libre Office.
>> Falkon is the only browser supplied though it runs the latest
>> kernel 5.0.2.  Darkstar the compiler for this release wanted
>> a small fast downloading system so he used links to get
>> the full versions of the applications he lists.
> [...]

     Bobbie Sellers -  When I reminisce many people say that I am living
in the
past and I can only agree because the rent is so much cheaper there and my
money goes so much further.