[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 18 March 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Mar 19 14:46:30 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

     Well the meeting was very small.

     Your reporter showed up at 5:35 PM and had no problems
with setting up my Dell E6520.
     So I decided to test some of the distributions I had written to
Flash Drives.

     EasyOS 1.0.13 is an update supposedly but I had a lot of
trouble getting online.  I.E I could not get online.  The WiFi
card could not be found.

     ROSA.FRESH.PLASMA5.R11.x86_64.iso worked ok but
while claiming to use Mandriva code it dropped the Drakxtools(sic)
for other ways to set things up,  WiFi was easy to access
and Firefox was handy to search.
     It has a late version of LibreOffice.
     Hardware probe adds your hardware to the Rosa database
but reports nothing to the user..

     pclinuxos-kde-darkstar-2019.0315.iso was slow booting
It has the latest kernel but an obsolete version of Libre Office.
Falkon is the only browser supplied though it runs the latest
kernel 5.0.2.  Darkstar the compiler for this release wanted
a small fast downloading system so he used links to get
the full versions of the applications he lists.

     condres_os-19.03-kde.iso worked ok and I had no real
problems with it.   Under Mate it was negatively reviewed
in the Distrowatch Weekly newsletter a few weeks back
I decided to try the KDE because of course, loving KDE
as I do I am more familiar with it.

debian-live-9.8.0-amd64-kde was very disappointing

with few of the KDE tools I am used to using. Getting on

line was impossible for me as Debian is using tools similar

to what I saw 10 years ago. You have to know a lot &

enter it before you can get it started. I pointed this

out to Jim and he asked why they would set it up like

that. I said that in offices where Debian might be favored

the IT would set the machine up and have all that

information ready to hand. I could be wrong about

that but that is my personal experience.

Aside from that this is one of the most boring

looking desktops I have seen.

     AntiX 17.4 in the 32 bit version would not boot on my
machine.
     4MLinux 28 in the 32 bit version also hung on my
computer.  There is no desktop 64 bi version

     Jim S. Showed up about 7 PM, had something to eat
and read a bit in Linux Pro latest issue.  He is very
interest in SCAPY which has something to do with
Python but SCA is undefined in the magazine article
apparently.

     7:45 PM Jim was ready to go so I started packing up
my stuff.
     By 8 PM I had left and Jim was kind enough to give
me a ride to my home.

     The next meeting at the Cafe Enchante will be on
Sunday April 7, 2019 from 11 AM to 1 PM.

     Regular announcement will be up about April 1
and will not be a joke.  But until then I will let you
know that I have downloaded a full release of
PCLinuxOS64 and will have it at the next meeting
unless a more advanced version shows up for
download.

     Bobbie Sellers