[sf-lug] antiX 17.4 is here

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 7 12:53:37 PST 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> And at SF-LUG we have the full iso files for amd64 and i386.  If
> anyone wants the base packages please let me know via the list.

Out of curiosity, if someone shows up at an SF-LUG meeting with
a 2002 Pentium II laptop with 192MB RAM and a 1.6GB hard drive,
do you have anything suitable?  I ask mostly because you keep saying
it's important to help users who have really old computers -- whereas I
personally think better advice would be 'Scrape together $100 and get
something from Craiglist that's from this decade and that isn't 32-bit.'

Personally, I give that advice but also keep around options for anyone
who's absolutely determined to run Linux on an ancient PC -- while
warning the user that getting by with low hardware resources requires
more skill, not less, hence is disrecommended for novices, and also that
very old computers are failure-prone, and replacement (or upgrade) parts
for them are a specialty market, hence premium-priced.

> If you want just the iso files bring your own media or specify that
> you need a bootable dvd let me know.  I will have AntiX 17.4 amd64 on
> a flash drive for demo purposes.  If you bring a flash drive I can
> easily produce a bootable drive in a few minutes.

I hope you also have a plan for letting such people know that the login
credentials are 'user=demo, password=demo' and 'user=root,
password=root'.  Otherwise, they won't know.  That, as I've said before,
is one of the hidden problems of live distributions.  And John
encountered one of the others, that they're a bit inflexible compared to
an installed system.

My point about credentials is that, if you're stocking live distros for
users, you should keep records of what each one's login credentials are,
and inform users who get copies from you.

All the live-distro credentials from my current collection are as follows, and maybe you should copy down whatever overlaps with your collection?:

Liten-Datamaskin:isos rick$ grep Credentials *.verification
antix-17.4.verification:# Credentials: demo, demo  root, root.
blue-collar-linux-initial-release.verification:# Credentials: liveuser, liveuser.
bodhi-linux-5.0.0-amd64.verification:# Credentials: bodhi, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
debian-live-9.8.0-lxde+nonfree-i386.verification:# Credentials: user, live (has sudo root).
debian-live-9.8.0-xfce+nonfree-amd64.verification:# Credentials: user, live (has sudo root).
debian-live-9.8.0-xfce+nonfree-i386.verification:# Credentials: user, live (has sudo root).
fedora-server-29-1.2-amd64.verification:# Credentials: liveuser, [NOPW],  root, [NOPW].
fedora-workstation-29-1.2-amd64.verification:# Credentials: liveuser, [NOPW],  root, [NOPW].
gparted-live-0.33.0-1-amd64.verification:# Credentials: user, live (has sudo root).
kubuntu-18.04.2-lts.verification:# Credentials: ubuntu, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
linuxmint-19.1.verification:# Credentials: mint, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
lubuntu-18.04.verification:# Credentials (for desktop ISOs): lubuntu, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
lubuntu-18.10.verification:# Credentials: lubuntu, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
manjaro-18.0.3-stable-xfce-amd64.verification:# Credentials: manjaro, manjaro (has sudo root).
mx-linux-18.1.verification:# Credentials: demo, demo  root, root.
refracta9-20190206-1724-xfce.verification:# Credentials: root, root  user, user.
systemrescuecd.verification:# Credentials: root, [NOPW].
ubuntu-18.04.2.verification:# Credentials: ubuntu, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
ubuntu-18.10.verification:# Credentials: ubuntu, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
xubuntu-18.04.2-lts.verification:# Credentials: xubuntu, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
xubuntu-18.10.verification:# Credentials: xubuntu, [NOPW] (has sudo root).
Liten-Datamaskin:isos rick$

--
Cheers,            You must rise or sink / You must conquer or win,
Rick Moen          Or serve and lose. / Suffer or triumph, / Be anvil or hammer.
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ! (4x80)        -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Gesellige Lieder, Ein Anderes