[sf-lug] updates Re: SF-LUG Sunday March 3, 2019 meeting notice

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 2 08:08:47 PST 2019

On 3/1/19 9:52 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>>> Bobbie, do you just basically download all new stuff as releases are
>>> covered by Distrowatch? Just curious.
>> No I do not download all new stuff from Distrowatch.
> The reason I asked is the small list you just named is all of the recent
> announces on Distrowatch, and nothing else. No problem with that; I was
> just curious.

     I mention a lot of stuff from Distrowatch because it is handy for
me but I do not mention a
lot of stuff and I do not mention some things that I get for purely
investigational reasons.
For example currently on Distrowatch's home page:
Featured Distribution: 3CX Phone System;  NuTyX 10.6;
NEW • Development Release: openSUSE 15.1 Beta; Development Release:
Linux Lite 4.4 RC1;
NEW • Distribution Release: KaOS 2019.02;Distribution Release: Linux
 From Scratch 8.4.
I will not be downloading Linux from Scratch as it is now totally about
putting a systemd
variation on disk.

     Besides what I have mentioned we have Condres 19.3 OS KDE Edition
downloaded
after I went to bed last night and 4MLinux version 28 which I will get
eventually.
I do not expect that these will be available at the meeting on Sunday in
any form
but probably at the next Monday Meeting.

>>  I don't know why anyone would want 16.04.6 but it has a couple of
>> years of support as of this release according to Distrowatch.
> According to _Ubuntu_ (the project's Web site), it has support for two
> more years _only_ for Ubuntu Desktop and a couple of specialty related
> flavours, and, as I said, only one month of support for everything else
> (e.g., Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu). Don't take my word for it, though.
> See for yourself: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes
>
> As I already said, it's not just the short (and in most cases
> vanishingly short) remaining support life that makes me wonder why
> anyone would install this in 2019. Even more important, I note that
> it's also not the current LTS release.
>
> Lots of problems with 10.04.x? Hmm, interesting. Maybe they should,
> y'know, consult a Linux user group. ;->

     I don't know about 10.04 as I do not believe I have ever written
about that.
     My typo or yours?

     18.04.x on the other hand has plenty of mention in the connected
equivalent
of the LUG, the online Ubuntu  Users forum and those who could overcome
a problem
posted a few things to the Usenet newsgroup, alt.os.linux.ubuntu which I
follow.
     A fresh problem with a provider who is moving to 18.04 is mentioned
today
by a user.  It is because of updates to the libraries it uses.

     Bobbie Sellers