[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 18 February 2019

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Wed Feb 20 23:15:58 PST 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> from [01]
> He also brought on the same sized disks SliTAZ 5-in-One release both
> of these are adapted to old machines with low memory. Both are on
> the very compact CD-R format sometimes called business card size

Sorry to have to be so nitpicky, but the "compact CD-R format" optical
disks I brought are actually called "mini-CDs" and an accurate description
of the 210 MiB ones I brought is the following, directly quoting reference
[02] :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mini CD single, a small disc. The format is mainly used for audio CD
singles in certain regions (singles are sold on normal 120 mm CDs in many
countries), much like the old vinyl single. An 80 mm disc can hold up to
24 minutes of music, or 210 MiB (210  220 bytes) of data. They are often
referred to as Maxi CDs in some countries.

** The low density version holds 18 minutes, or 155 MB.
** Other formats are 185 MB (21 mins), which has the same data density as
a 650 MB full-sized CD, and 210 MB (24 mins), with the same data density
as a 700 MB full-sized CD, used for "Pocket" data storage. (see also
miniDVD)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since the mini-CDs I brought have a 210 MiB capacity, there seem to be
fewer and fewer bootable Linux ISO images that one can burn onto these
disks, besides the bootable Plop Boot Manager [03] and SliTaz [04] CDs I
provided Bobbie. To wit...
- Most, but not all, images of Tiny Core Linux [05] will easily fit onto
both a 50 MiB Business Card CD and a mini-CD.
- Versions of Puppy Linux [06] from about a handful of years ago (ver 5.7,
see [07]) and going back further in time all _easily_ fit onto a 210 MiB
mini-CD.
- The bootable Super Grub2 Disks [08][]09] that Bobbie S and others have
previously mentioned and used for "fixing" and editing GRUB 2.x _also_
easily fit onto a 210 MiB mini-CD.

Rick M and/or Michael P are welcome to jump in if I'm badly mistaken, but
to my admittedly-limited knowledge, there is no "ready-made" "as-is"
bootable ISO image of Debian [GNU]/Linux Stable [10] for i386 and amd64 PC
architectures that is less than ~290 MiB in size.
Are Debian's downloadable "Tiny CDs, flexible USB sticks, etc." described
at the bottom-left of [11] *really* to be considered as already ready-made
as-is bootable images that could be directly burned, for example, onto a
210 MiB mini-CD??
(I'm definitely among those who have some doubts on this latter point :-\)

An interesting distro besides the above that "might" be installable or at
least usable in some fashion or another via a sub-210 MiB size download
and subsequent burn to mini-CD is Alpine Linux [12].
Alpine Linux describes itself as "a security-oriented, lightweight Linux
distribution based on musl libc and busybox".
Alpine Linux's "Standard" and "Netboot" ISO image downloads for x86 and
x86-64 architectures [13] take up much less than 210 MiB, so presumably at
least the "Standard" ISO images would seem to serve the similar purpose as
Debian [GNU]/Linux's larger netinst "Small CDs or USB sticks" described
near the top-left of [11], and the former _easily_ fit onto a 210 MiB
mini-CD.

That being said above, since a "Network connection is required" to get
started using Alpine Linux Standard as per [13], this required network
connection is most likely via wired/Ethernet and _not_ via wireless -- IMO
most likely due to all the extra drivers that using wireless adapters and
their cumulative diskspace requirements likely entail. Which I think would
then align with what Bobbie S wrote near the bottom of [14] regarding
driver and other updates for using SliTaz Linux 5 in particular, here:

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>:
> And Slitaz 5 works on i5/i7 machines if you really want to cut
> down on the size of your distribution.  I did not manage to
> get it online on WiFi though.  Maybe it needed an update but
> that will take a wired connecton I believe.

>From the description of Tiny Core Linux's various installation images in
[15], I gather that all the extra included wireless drivers are what have
_also_ brought the size of the current CorePlus image well past 106 MB and
all the way past the size of what can fit onto a 210 MiB mini-CD, as one
can directly observe in [16].

-A