[sf-lug] Ubuntu, GPartEd, Bad Luck with Blue Collar Linux-Help! etc.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 20 17:29:29 PST 2019

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>     All the little *buntus still have the i386 in mind.

GNOME3 (Ubuntu) on an old IA32 box is pretty absurd in any event.
_However_:

o  Xubuntu 19.04 (next release) will drop IA32.
   (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Xubuntu-No-More-32-bit)
o  Lubuntu  19.04 (next release) will drop IA32
   (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Lubuntu-No-More-32-Bit)

Those two appear to be the only that qualify as 'still have' -- and not
for long.  (Old IA32 releases of various *buntus will still have package
support for a while before fading away.)

o  Kubuntu (not a 'little *buntu', but I'm just being thorough) already
   did drop IA32.
o  Ubuntu MATE (not really little), ditto.
o  Ubuntu Budgie doesn't have a roadmap, but has dropped IA32 from
   daily builds, so I'm pretty sure it's gone.
o  Ubuntu Studio (not really little) dropped IA32 starting 18.10.
o  Ubuntu Server, ditto.
o  Ubuntu Kylin I'll study when I know more in Chinese than how to
   say hello and happy lunar new year.

Tick tock, tick tock.  (I really appreciate your helping people with old
machines, of course, and I try to do the same.)

> Oh yeah,  I get that feeling from his replies to my remarks about the
> checksum.

Thank you for trying, Bobbie.

> Yep!   I have a remastering facility on my PCLinuxOS and hope to make
> my own simple to use distribution with only the requisite tools for
> the simple tasks eventually.  I think i would try to add a boot up
> checksum test as we see on Knoppix and some other distros.  Do you
> think that is simple enough for most folks?

That's a really good idea, and worth trying.

> Strangely enough over the November January Holidays I baked and solely
> consumed 3 Gluten Free Pumpkin pies.

Yum!

> Well it is not a matter of throwing out old isos but a matter of
> having a reasonably recent .iso file to save excessive downloading to
> get to the latest update.  I have downloaded and check-summed Debian
> 9.8 so now have it on hand for the next meeting.

Perfectly OK, but I'll repeat that there's literally no practical
advantage to acquiring a later point release of the same Debian main
release.  They're functionally the same.

> A few years back I had a man who hauled a tower to the meeting and
> tried to install Knoppix on it without listening to advice.  The
> equivalent of Usenet troll but in real life.  That encounter made me
> feel bad for a week or so.

Well, some people learn only the hard way.  ;->

Please say 'hi' to Daniel G. for me if you re-establsh contact.