[sf-lug] physical management of flash media (USB, ...) (was: Ubuntu, GPartEd, Bad Luck with Blue Collar Linux-Help! etc.)

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 20:25:43 PST 2019

On 2/16/19, Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> Michael Paoli writes:
>> As for SD ... micro-SD, and the like (and other varieties of
>> memory-card type flash) ... no hole to attach string tag,
>> and many/most too small to be feasibly written on much,
>> let alone change the writing on.  So, the idea I had on that,
>> and best implemented by manufacturers ... but could similarly be done
>> by end-users.  For each, four small separate dabs of color.
>> Ideally that would be at manufacture time, in the plastic.
>> Rather like resister color codes ... 10 distinct colors,
>> four such "dabs" of color on each ... that gives
>> 10^4 different combinations - effectively 10,000
>
> Cute. Though even on a microSD card, there's room to write a digit
> or three. I tried writing numbers with a silver Sharpie, then keeping
> a file on my computer that mapped numbers to what was on the card.
> But of course, I wasn't disciplined enough about keeping the file
> updated. Probably a better solution is some sort of "wallet" with
> slots for the microSD cards with erasable labels next to them, and
> each one having a number or letter which corresponds to a Sharpie
> marking on the card. Adafruit sells the best microSD wallets I've
> found so far; not perfect but pretty good.
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/3664

I use a wallet for micro/SD cards, with just a little slip of paper
tucked in with the card with what's on it.  For USB's, I got a bunch
of wrist straps awhile ago, and put a flattened loop of
"invisible"=frosted scotch tape on the strap.  I can write on the
tape, and remove it when I want a new one.
Ken