[sf-lug] GKsu has long been EOLed

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Feb 16 08:06:42 PST 2019

Rick Moen writes:
> Or, to put it a different way, if you consider allowing root to ssh in
> too risky, then by the same token allowing a non-root user who can
> root-escalate with the same password to ssh in raises exactly the _same_
> risk.

You make an excellent point. I'd just been taking this "allowing
ssh as root is horribly dangerous" gospel without examining it.

> You might think that -- but it turns out that the Ubuntu/Apple approach
> saves time chasing workarounds primarily by shutting you down with
> 'that's just not supported/included, sorry'.  (Being told 'nope' _does_
> save time, admittedly.)

Oh, yes, I certainly agree with that -- which is why I don't run
any of those defaults. Figuring out how to enable all the nice
little tweaks I've developed over the years under Ubuntu's default
desktop (or Gnome, or KDE) would take way more work than the
workarounds I have to chase now, and I'd have to figure out how
to re-do them with every release. Running the defaults only saves
time if you stick with them, and accept their limitations.

> In case you haven't heard of it, 'apulse' is often a good trick to finesse
> PulseAudio dependency, in many cases.
>
> Quoting https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse :

THANK YOU! What a wonderful option, which I will definitely try.

        ...Akkana