[sf-lug] GKsu has long been EOLed

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Feb 15 15:50:14 PST 2019

Rick Moen writes:
> > I have a local sshd, but that gives Permission denied even after I
> > type root's password. I guess I'd have to enable ssh-as-root, at
> > least for localhost?
>
> Yes.  That's what I referred to, when I said I'm 'not a member of the
> must-use-sudo church'.  So, to correct the root user's lack of login
> ability:[1]

I have a root password and can su to root just fine.
It was the PermitRootLogin part in sshd_config that I didn't have
(and I definitely wouldn't want to add it except with the limitation
to localhost, which you mention later.)

> I can't help notice that the Ubuntu bunch includes a large contingent
> that have a similar devotion to doing only what Pope Shuttleworth tells
> them is OK, hence few would seriously consider enabling root login in
> any situation.  After all, they're typically not trying to master their
> computers, but rather want to use a branded appliance as directed by a
> reassuring vendor.

In a way, I can sort of understand that. As a contrarian who uses a
relatively minimal openbox windowmanager, I'm forever hitting things
that don't quite work because I don't have some daemon or have
uninstalled some service, and I have to waste a bunch of time
chasing workarounds. Sometimes it feels like it would save a lot of
time if I'd just put up with Ubuntu and its defaults. (Today's
timewaste: gqrx, a software defined radio program that won't install
without PulseAudio even if you have no intention of using it for
audio and just want to look at the FFT. I eventually discovered that
there's a build for Raspberry Pi -- not the one in the Raspbian
respositories, which dumps core on startup -- which will run without
Pulse; and that it doesn't show the FFT anyway, and isn't useful for
scanning if you're looking for something like a weather station that
only broadcasts in pulses. But learning that would have been a
lot faster if my amd64 system had had Ubuntu and Pulse. Um, did
you say something about people getting sidetracked into edge cases? :-)

        ...Akkana