[sf-lug] GKsu has long been EOLed

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Feb 14 14:15:58 PST 2019

Rick Moen writes:
> As you suggest in your postscript, GParted (GNOME Partition Editor) is
> a gtk graphical front-end to the core library (libparted) of console
> tool GNU Parted, and is indeed a nice alternative to using GNU Parted
> itself for creating, resizing, moving, and copying partitions.
>
> However, personally, if I set out to do those things, I would always
> reach for a 'rescue'/maintenance live distro like SystemRescueCD

Counterexample: I've been doing a lot of sudo gparted today.
I'm trying to clone a Raspberry Pi's SD card -- a surprisingly
difficult thing to do -- and as I try different approaches, I keep
going back to gparted to check or reset the partitions on the card.
I'm not writing to my system disk, so there's no reason to need
a rescue distro.

I'm mostly a command-line girl, but gparted is an exception: I
need partitioning seldom enough that I never remember options for
programs like parted or fdisk, and the penalty for error when
partitioning is such that I prefer a hand-holding GUI that shows me
a graphical view of the disk.

On the other hand, I don't need a graphical sudo (I don't think I
even have one installed). Typing "sudo gparted /dev/sdb" in a
terminal works fine for me. If I wanted to run synaptic (which I
don't: when I see people running it, it looks harder to use than
apt-get and aptitude) I'd run it the same way.

        ...Akkana