[sf-lug] GKsu has long been EOLed

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Feb 14 07:49:34 PST 2019

On 2/13/19 4:48 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> But the real question you should be asking is 'Why the Gehenna am I
> running X11 graphical applications with root-user authority?'  It's
> dangerous to your security to needlessly run large graphical
> applications with root authority, for gosh sakes.  Why on _earth_ would
> you be doing that in the first place?

I agree with the larger point that there's precious few instances where
you would ever want to run GUI tools as root.  But there are a few.
Gparted in particular stands out in my mind as one of the few times I've
seen a compelling case for using gksu.

DR

P.S.  Before someone jumps in and says it:  yes, there's nothing that
gparted does that couldn't be done from the command line.  But it's one
of those super-convenient swiss-army-knife type tools that I think
justifies using a GUI.  Having a UI to set up a new disk - partitioning,
formatting file systems, etc. - is something I've found very useful on
several occasions.