[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday February 3, 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Feb 3 19:23:36 PST 2019

Hi LUGers,

     Well this was a great meeting of Linux enthusiasts which if
not great in numbers was practically all of the regular attendees.

     I got to the Cafe Enchante about 10:40 am just as the large party at
the largest table was leaving.  Got setup without problems.  Booted into
Deepin and did updates.

     Maestro came about 11 am and was followed by John S.  who delivered
  a nice new printer as a b/d present to me, either 5 months late or 7
months
early.  No time to try it our yet or even unpack it.

     John S. sadly on his new and wonderful machine with a Quad-Density
display could not completely boot up from Flash Drives using several
distributions.  One clear problem is that the text display was so small
as to be nearly illegible.  This is a problem even on the HD displays and
it took me weeks to adjust the display on this machine to comfortable
standards.  Later I was able to get him to copy System Rescue to his
system.
     Be sure if you get a new QD display machine that you are familiar with
with the relevant items to adjust your display to legible sizes.

     Joseph P.  Came in returning a borrowed magazine and keeping up
with the latest magazine.

     About 11:40 Ken and his wife showed up.  Ken was able to offer
assistance
to several users at the meeting.

     12:05 pm Aaron showed up and I accepted his return of a Flash Drive
and was able to copy the new SystemRescue CD 6.0.0 to his digital media.
   ⁙  During the meeting Aaron asked me about the architecture of the new
system rescue and sorry to say despite its size it has abandoned the 32
bit kernel.⁙  I found this information emphasized in the latest Distrowatch
Newsletter at <https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190204>
And a look at the newsletter which reviews FreeNAS and finds a security
feature missing.

     12:17  Jim Stockford came in and we discussed several subjects and
I gave
him a Flash Drive with SystemRescueCD 6.0.0 installed.  He is still
having problems
with his ZaReason Style Writer's WiFi.  We hope that these can be
resolved soon.

     12:45 Tom T. came in and returned a copy of Kodachi on Flash Drive
and got a DVD of the same and a copy of the latest SystemRescueCD on
disk.

   The Kodachi on Flash Drive was tried out by John S. and it could not
finish
booting so I tried on my old Dell and it booted up but I have to say the
interface is rather confusing, never-the-less I managed to boot it up and
get it online.  I thought I had managed to shut it down but when I got home
and had the moment to get the notebook out to reconnect to my networks
I found it very hot.  It had managed to restart though not in any OS
and depleted the battery by about 40% in 40 minutes or so.
     I think Kodachi is an interesting distribution and will be working
with it
when I can find the time.  It has a mode in which it can find
insecurities in
your setup and advise you on repairing same.

     About 1:20 pm the meeting adjourned and Jim gave several of us a ride
to our next stops

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     The next meeting will be on Monday February 18, 2019.
     I should have my regular reminder up by the 11th of February.
     I get nearly all my downloads from Distrowatch but if you want
something else and your connection is too slow let me know and
I will try to have it at the next meeting.  This is best done sooner
than later as my own connection is only a DSL and these downloads
can take hours.

     Bobbie Sellers