[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Monday ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 3 15:24:19 PST 2019

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> > SF-LUG meets every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M. ...
>
> Not the third Monday of every month?

Good catch, Tony.  'Third Monday' in the literal sense would be outré
and unlikely -- and yet it's conceivable someone might read it that way.

True story:  Because for many years CABAL meetings (Menlo Park) were held
at my house on _both_ the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of every month,
inevitably a few regulars erroneously assumed the date formula was
'every two weeks'.

So, I'd be working out in my garden on a day like (say) this year's
Saturday, April 6th, and one of the regulars would saunter up for a
(non-existent) CABAL gathering.  And I'd politely offer coffee and
refreshments, but point out that it wasn't yet the 2nd Saturday:

$ cal April 2019
     April 2019
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
    1  2  3  4  5  6
 7  8  9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

$

And why did this happen?  Because the regular had been there two weeks
before -- and forgot that some months have _five_ Saturdays.  ;->

$ cal March 2019
     March 2019
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
                1  2
 3  4  5  6  7  8  9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31

$

We've not had that amusement since reducing the schedule to '2nd
Saturday of every month' (dropping 4th Saturdays) -- though people
dropping by on non-CABAL days are still welcome visitors.

--
Cheers,              "I am a member of a civilization (IAAMOAC).  Step back
Rick Moen            from anger.  Study how awful our ancestors had it, yet