[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 21 January 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 25 19:06:20 PST 2019

On 1/25/19 4:27 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> On 1/25/19 1:45 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>>>      I don't find that directory?
>> Um, 'directory'?  I'm sorry, what are you talking about?
>     Well it finds a blank page.
     well I had a third thought and got this

Queue Name 	Description 	Location 	Make and Model 	Status
EPSON-Epson-Stylus-NX510
<http://localhost:631/printers/EPSON-Epson-Stylus-NX510> 	EPSON Epson
Stylus NX510
	Epson Stylus NX515 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10 Simplified 	Idle - "The
printer is not responding."

> [...]
>> main distinction, main attraction, and most famous feature in the CUPS
>> engine.  So, if so, you should tool around in those pages and get to
>> know them.
>     Actually I never claimed any knowledge of CUPS but that it is the
> tool
> generally used by GNU/Linux distribution to establish connections to
> printers,  When it works it works very well but when it fails it is
> difficult
> to understand why.
>

>>> But searching on printers I find the following
>>
>> You found that where?  Is this a file on your system?  If so, what file?
>> It looks like it could be your /etc/cups/printers.conf file -- but I'm
>> mystified about why specifically you posted that.
>
>     Because that is what I could find.
>>
>> Among other things, that in no way clarifies whether you have the
>> Gutenprint RPM package installed -- just that CUPS _expects_ to print
>> to the thing using a Gutenprint filter/driver.
>
>     If the Gutenprint package is not installed I have wasted a lof of
> download time.
>     But using the command you recommended here is the result:
> [bliss at bliss ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i gutenprint
> gutenprint-ijs-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> lib64gutenprint2-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> gutenprint-common-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> gutenprint-foomatic-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> gutenprint-escputil-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> lib64gutenprintui2_1-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> gutenprint-cups-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> gutenprint-gimp2-5.2.10-1pclos2014
>
> and for foomatic
> [bliss at bliss ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i foomatic
> foomatic-db-4.0-2.20180120.1pclos2018
> foomatic-filters-4.0.9-2pclos2018
> gutenprint-foomatic-5.2.10-1pclos2014
> foomatic-db-engine-4.0.12-1pclos2018
>
>> One thing I note:
>>
>>     DeviceURI dnssd://EPSON8E2DF7._printer._tcp.local/
>>
>> Ugh.  ZeroConf network transport.  I would never, ever rely on that.
>> Any of the alternatives is less flakey and easier to diagnose.
>

>>> Now I want to thank you for your advice but I seem to have a dead
>>> printer.
>> Well, it's your call wether you want to give up on your printer, but you
>> might want to do basic hardware diagnosis before throwing it away.
>> Does the LCD display screen indicate a hardware problem?  Does the
>> http://localhost:631/printers/ screen appear to show the printer as
>> online and reachable?  Does it pass a self-test?[1]  Can you have CUPS
>> send it a test page and have it comply?
>
>     It has printed nothing* and the LCD screen does not allow for much
> non-maintenance information.
>      *That includes running the usual test page, the self-test of the
> nozzle pattern and the print head cleaning
> routine.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/nx510_/nx510_ug/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm
>
>     All I see there is a blank page with a vertical line about 1/5 of
> the way from the left side of the screen.
     Again I turned off no Script aka Temporarily Trusted and got some
advice.

>     As I may have mentioned elsewhere I will try another distribution
> on the printer to see if perhaps some
> reaction can be coaxed from the NX515.
>
>     Have a pleasant weekend.
>
>     Bobbie Sellers