[sf-lug] CUPS and printcap(5)! :-) ... termcap, terminfo, ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 24 22:41:06 PST 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] CUPS and printer driver collections (was: systemd
> and memory corruption...)
> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 16:53:00 -0800

> Being from 2003, it still mentions what are now legacy print engines:
> lpr, lpd, and lprng.  In 2003, all of those were being rapidly junked in
> favour of Easy Software Products's CUPs engine, and are little
> remembered today (except by us old-timers who tend to say 'Good
> riddance').  Apple, Inc. bought CUPs from Easy Software Products in
> 2007, and has continued to maintain it.

What, you don't miss the days of writing your own
printcap(5) entries?!?!?  ;-)
Okay, so I never *quite* did that ... I was earlier on to the
System V way of printing (lp, etc.), before the more BSD flavored
ways.  Better? ... eh, ... *different*.
But I sure did write many termcap and terminfo entries.  :-)
That was fun ... as was too, testing and debugging them
(like figuring out what delays needed to be added/included where,
because the terminals couldn't process quite fast enough to keep up,
at least without some delays after some certain operations).
Ah, those were the days.  How fondly we (mis-?)remember them.  :-)