[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Monday 21 January 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Jan 24 07:56:53 PST 2019

On 1/22/19 9:39 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>>      I showed Jim that his machine worked from
>> the Ubuntu 18.04.1 USB Flash Drive I had made
>> for him after the last meeting with a faster boot
>>   and a working WiFi.
>>      Since the meeting I have mailed him a
>> copy of the manual for this machine and
>> a URL for the problem that may give
>> useful advice.  He can connect at home via
>> Ethernet wired connection.
> Once again, quick thinking and generous help!
>
> Basically, it's been shown conclusively that there's nothing wrong with
> Jim's laptop hardware.  Moreover, everyone including Jim should have
> been  clear on this point by, at latest, your posting of January 8th
> where you reminded Jim that everything had been fine when he'd booted
> your Ubuntu Studio live distro.  Yet, here we are 1/2 month later, and
> Jim hasn't acted.
>
> Jim:  Time to fish or cut bait.
>
> Decide how much of a time budget (two hours?  three hours?) of serious
> diagnosis you're willing to put into repairing whatever you somehow
> broke on your existing installation.  Spend that time, and see if you can
> find and fix your boo-boo.  (No, I urge that you stop thinking it
> credible to suppose that things just 'broke'.  This is wildly
> improbable.)

         Jim has tried.

> If you can't, then update your data backups -- you have complete, tested
> backups of your data files, right?  right?  -- and then blow away
> everything during a fresh installation.

     He assured me that he has backups.

> You _do_ have handy the means to reinstall and are comfortable with
> using that, right?  If not, fix that, first.
     I made sure that he did passing him a Flash Drive with the working
copy of the Ubuntu 18.04.1 for
this purpose.

     Jim has to travel again to support his family responsibilities,
later this week and into the middle of
next week.  Meantime he has plenty of work at hand to finish before he
travels.

>>      Now a 3rd problem for your delectation as
>> last week it seems the printer driver for my
>> consumer Epson 515NX has disappeared from
>> CUPS recently.
> 1.  The Epson Stylus NX515 (note: correct model name) has been out of
> production for about nine years.
>
> 2.  All-in-one printers have always had a pretty dreadful reputation for
> quality, hence it's unlikely the coders of printer driver software would
> own them, hence little motivation to create and maintain quality
> drivers.  This is doubly so for an inkjet-based all-in-one printer
> with inkjets' ruinously expensive supply costs.  (We've talked about tis
> before.  You said you use it because you don't have much money.  I
> replied that practically any non-inkjet option would cost you less
> money.)
>
> 3.  That having been said, looks to me like the current Gutenprint (v.
> 5.2.15) release still includes the escp2-nx515 driver, which is what is
> reported to be the best choice for your thing:
> http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php
>
> So, I'm confused about what 'has disappeared from CUPS recently'
> means.  Do you have the gutenprint package installed, or not?  What
> printer driver did you use to use (i.e., what does 'the printer driver
> for my consumer Epson 515NX' mean specifically)?

     Well the copy of CUPS I had at hand does not have that driver.
     Late last night I re-installed CUPS and a lot of other related files.

     If all goes well I will be trying out the printer again this AM.

     I started pricing the smaller laser printers last night but
the consumable seem to be high priced but then you get
more pages out of the refills.

     Bobbie Sellers