[sf-lug] Drive sizes/capacities: Re: Want a large Flash Drive or a good sized SSD?

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Tue Jan 15 19:45:33 PST 2019

Tony Godshall <togo at of.net> wrote at [01]:

> gigibytes is not a thing.  gigabytes and gibibytes are the terms.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
>
> Bi for binary.  kibi, mebi, gibi, tebi...  reminds you that we are
> being specific about 2^, not 10^

That's right; it is GiBibytes instead of GiGibytes for GiB (as I
incorrectly wrote).
Au revoir Madame/Mademoiselle Gigi and bienvenue Monsieur Gibi! <G>

A few other corrections I've already caught (so far) from [02] are:
- Bobbie S's original posting of [03] mentions discounted 128 GB _USB
flash drives_ instead of 128 GB or 120 GB _SSDs_. I think that maestro
could perhaps have made a similar error in the posting at [04] (?)
- The previous being the case, those discounted 128 Gigabyte USB flash
drives _are_ really approximately 119.209289551 Gibibytes just as Michael
P wrote in [05], and there seem to be plenty of these nicely discounted
USB flash drives availble at Central Computer's various Bay Area locations
[06].
- Instead of the automatic "we can see from" of the various references to
the GB-to-GiB size-conversions at [07], you would actually have to enter a
value into the Gigabyte search field of that webpage for the proper
conversion to show up. That might not have been so obvious from what I
previously wrote in [02]...

> In terms of possible "marketing tactics" size descriptions,
> we can see from ((now [07])) that the three remaining
> WDS120G2G0B SSDs listed at ((now [08])) for the SF store are
> really a lower-appearing 111.75 *Gibibytes(GiB) in size and
> the eleven remaining WDS240G2G0A SSDs listed at ((now [09]))
> for the same store are really a lower-appearing 223.51
> *Gibibytes(GiB) in size.

*Appropriately corrected here from GigIbytes to GiBibytes.

Hope that those attending tonight's BALUG meeting [10] didn't and will not
have any major weather-related difficulties either arriving at Henry's
Hunan Restaurant or getting back to their final destinations for the night
afterwards :-)

-A