[sf-lug] Overheating and CPU throttling

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 12 18:32:40 PST 2019

I meant to add:

> One comment I've seen about this that sounds plausible is that sometimes
> the factory didn't do a great job applying thermal paste between the CPU
> and the CPU fan, and maybe it dries out a bit and degrades over time, so
> it's not that difficult to re-do that with aftermarket thermal paste.

I've done this with some past computers, and it's not the least bit
difficult.  The one tip one hears frequently is to spread as thin a
layer as possible.  Novices sometimes assume that thicker is better, but
the opposite is the casd:  You want the mimimum amount of paste to
eliminate air between the two metal surfaces and no more.  Any excess
thickness just adds unintended insulation, impairing rather than
facilitating heat transfer.

You buy just a small plastic syringe full of gooey stuff that you
extrude out and rub around one of the surfaces, and then press the two
together, then fasten.  AFAIK, Fry's Electronics (or analogous place in
your area (Southwest somewere, IIRC) still carries the stuff, and
obviously there is mail order.