[sf-lug] Free Speech: Re: "Justin Noor" <justinnoor.io at gmail.com>: If you don???t ... I???ll ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 11 07:45:47 PST 2019

Er, correction (as I'm a bit groggy at this hour):

> For some reason I'm reminded of a couple of the more memorable sayings
> by renowned media critic Abbott Joseph "A. J." Liebling, who until his
> death in 1963 had a (spookily prescient column in the _New Yorker_
> magazine entitled 'The Wayward Press.  (Liebling was among the earliest
> establishment critics to sound the alarm about corporate takeovers of
> newspapers and magazines, and subsequent mass-layoffs of journalists.)
>
>   The Internet has given everyone with a computer and Internet access
>   their own printing press.  You do not have to be a mogul to publish your
>   opinions.  The big question is:  Can you get anyone to listen?
>

>   Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.

The first quotation was obviously _not_ from Liebling himself, given
that he died in 1963.  It was a recent comment by press critic James
Breiner _about_ Liebling's prescience and continuing relevance, here:

https://ijnet.org/en/story/internet-companies-google-facebook-now-dominate-news-distribution