[sf-lug] delv (vs. dig ...)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 18 23:21:31 PST 2018

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Mail problems (or Firefox, or systemd,...)
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:51:48 -0800

> (Michael prefers 'delv' the new and shiny over dig or nslookup.)

Well, yes and no.

delv has some wonderful advantages ... and some disadvantages too.
I think longer term I'll probably end up mostly preferring delv,
in the meantime, I'm still also trying to get more used to delv.

So, some key differences and advantages/disadvantages ...

delv is *much* better at dealing with and diagnosing DNSSEC

delv behaves *much* more like resolver libraries themselves in how they
behave and do the DNS resolution, so it's better to more accurately
reflect that behavior and make things easier to diagnose in those regards,
by generally not being "just a bit different" such that sometimes the
resolver libraries and delve will not give exactly the same results.

delv is relatively syntax/usage compatible with dig ... but definitely not
identical ... I find this (at least thus far) somewhat frustrating, because
much of what I'd commonly throw at dig doesn't work quite the same way with
delv.

delv, being considerably newer, isn't nearly as widely deployed/available.

By default, delv also gives you basic DNSSEC information (trusted or not by
DNSSEC).

At least those are the key differences I find and am aware of.