[sf-lug] Mail problems (or Firefox, or systemd,...)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Dec 15 08:42:31 PST 2018

Ken Shaffer writes:
> Anyone else having email problems?  Last month, systemd on my Ubuntu 18.04
> stopped resolving mail.comcast.net.  No known changes on my part, not even
> an update, it just stopped working, but none of the other sites I visit had

Comcast apparently recently changed the name of the server people
need to use for email. I haven't been paying strict attention (even
if I had Comcast service, they've caused enough email problems with
things like bogus spam rejection that I wouldn't use them for my own
email -- seems like I'm always dealing with issues like "I'm not
getting email from the XYZ list to my Comcast address"); but my
impression is that the preferred hostnames to use for mail changed
at some point (perhaps long ago) and the grandfathered older server
people have been using up to now is being gradually retired,
starting with not renewing its cert.

This thread might have some helpful information:

http://lists.nmglug.org/pipermail/nmglug-nmglug.org/2018-December/004909.html

and in particular these messages:
http://lists.nmglug.org/pipermail/nmglug-nmglug.org/2018-December/004924.html
http://lists.nmglug.org/pipermail/nmglug-nmglug.org/2018-December/004926.html

but read the whole thread since there might be other relevant info.

        ...Akkana