[sf-lug] Subject: Re: debian base system (initially without X11) install progress (or lack there of!) report

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 12 14:57:02 PST 2018

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Subject: Re: debian base system (initially
> without X11) install progress (or lack there of!) report
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:43:50 -0800

> done with finding network interfaces.   If the report says 'Hey, dude,
> the following two interfaces can't be initialised for lack of firmware
> files', and you then go fetch those, you've done a good and necessary
> thing _but_ you really ought to, aat that point, go backwards a screen
> in the installer and do network detection and configuration again.
> Otherwise, you'll end up with a valid and known, but unconfigured
> ('down') network interface.  Which is what you have.

Or, do as I suggested, and Debian supports and documents,
have any of the non-free firmware where the Debian installer expects to
look for it and find it if it's needed, then it's all pretty much
automagic from there - and will set up the devices and their
configurations, and you'll have that in your then installed system.
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2018q4/013573.html