[sf-lug] debian base system (initially without X11)...etc

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Dec 12 13:28:24 PST 2018

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):

> OTOH and IMHO, I'm wondering whether Rick M's Linuxmafia.com
> 'Knowledgebase-Debian' [03] could use some major revisions to better
> assist others such as myself and perhaps a few others install and
> use Debian?

Everyone always loves Web-content maintenance, provided it's done by
someone else.  ;->

If you think about it, the more content I host  and point to from my
knowledgebase, the more work is required on an ongoing basis to
refactor/rewrite/revise.  This is a probl -- everywher -- and most
people would rather just forget about what exists currently and create
something new.  It's more fun, for one thing.

Occasionally I do go around and junk things that are no longer of
interest, and to do general rewriting, updating, and polishing.  Time
permitting.

What results is that some content is always out of date, but then that's
_the case all over the Web_.

> - The Debian Linux User's Guide by Dale Scheetz (Linux Press) [06]
> is two decades old (going all the way back to the days of Rick M's
> "hugin.imat.com"[07] maybe??) and covers setting-up the older PPP
> via 'ifconfig'[08], as opposed to using the current 'ip a' to "show
> at least two more valid network interfaces" as specifically
> mentioned above.

FWIW, I'll wager that ifconfig is still around a decade from now, even
if only as a wrapper around the 'ip' command.

> - The last listed link at [03] entitled 'Woody
> Non-vulnerabilities'[10] isn't even around anymore.

Yeah, I'll doubtless just lose that, though the larger point that the
page makes is still worthwhile.

> - There is also the 'Debian Tips' webpage from almost exactly 19
> years ago [11] which among other antiquities, also mentions using
> Debian woody (and Debian 2.1 "Slink").
[..]
> [11]http://linuxmafia.com/debian/tips

Hey, first of all, I consider much of the material in my old 'tips' file
to be gold, ancient or not.

Also, that's not actually an entry on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/ .