[sf-lug] debian base system (initially without X11) install progress (or lack there of!) report

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sun Dec 9 21:50:49 PST 2018

On 2018-12-09 20:36, Rick Moen wrote:

Rick,
You are an angel for being so patient and willing to help.
Yes I was connected by ethernet so not having wifi connectivity was not
the problem.
I began again (redoing the install) and this time with help from
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/how-to-provide-non-free-firmware-files-to-the-debian-jessie-installer-4175542680/
have been able to get wifi running. (i.e. the requisite
iwlwifi-5000-x.ucode files must have gone where they should be.)

> So, have you fetched the package catalogues, yet?

I have never before heard of it but will apt install catalogues as soon
as the installation has completed.

>> ifconfig command not found
>> although "iproute2 is already the newest version"
>> It seems ifconfig has been deprecated/eliminated in favor of
>> ip a
>
> Yes, if you want to be an old fogie and stick with ifconfig, ipmaddr,
> iptunnel, mii-tool, nameif, plipconfig, rarp, route, alattach, and arp,
> they're in package net-tools, but it's true that the entire net-tools
> suite has been deprecated in favour of the iproute2 suite for quite a
> long time.

Are you still "an old fogie" or have you moved on to iproute2?

> Explained here:  https://lwn.net/Articles/710533/

I'm on it!  (Unless you tell me you are still using  net-tools in which
case I also will stick with the old tools.)

>> Perhaps instead of beginning with a base (command line only) system
>> and working my way up, I should start with an Xfce installation.
>
> Nah.
>
> I'm thinking you're just needing to learn the lay of the land, and then
> you'll be fine.

Your encouragement is much appreciated.

Further reports to follow.

Alex