[sf-lug] debian base system (initially without X11) install progress (or lack there of!) report

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sun Dec 9 19:42:02 PST 2018

It ain't easy!

Drivers (wifi) demanded by the installer are 5 in number
    iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode,
    iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode,
    iwlwifi-5000-3.ucode,
    iwlwifi-5000-4.ucode,
    iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode,
but only the second and fifth exist for download from the net.
Can't find anywhere on the Debian site where to put or install them
after the fact: i.e. none of the following directories exist.
     /lib/firmware
     /usr/local/lib/firmware
     /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware

No man pages exist on the system!

"Unable to locate package" is the response I get to all of the
following:
apt install iw
apt install man-db
apt install manpages

I can't even install vim:
apt install vim >> same response as to man-browser (see below.)

apt install man-browser yields a different error message:
..not available, but is referred to by another package.
apt-cache search man-browser >> no output

ifconfig command not found
although "iproute2 is already the newest version"
It seems ifconfig has been deprecated/eliminated in favor of
ip a

/usr/local/share/man exists but is empty.

Google searches suggest that problems with man pages exist but no easy
solution found.

Perhaps instead of beginning with a base (command line only) system and
working my way up, I should start with an Xfce installation.

As much as I would like to not do so, I can understand why people do
what Rick calls a 'forehead install'!

By the way, I did modify /etc/apt/sources.list to the following:
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.6.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST
20181110-11:34]/ stretch main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.6.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST
20181110-11:34]/ stretch main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main

# stretch-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main

# above came with install
# Below I added:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch contrib
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch contrib

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch nonfree
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch nonfree

deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

# After modifying this file must run/ran
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

# apt-file update
# apt-file search ...