[sf-lug] use 32 or 64 bit on 64 bit capable hardware: Re: installing minimal debian and building on that

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Dec 8 20:59:22 PST 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Alex looking at the specs and most likely 4 GiB is the size that
> someone decided would be the least draw on the battery.   It appears
> that the investment in the a couple of 4 GiB chips would not be
> wasted.

I'd be utterly delighted if this finding were incorrect, but Lenovo's
pages for te ThinkPad X301 _series_ of models appear to consistently
state that the maximum physical RAM is 4GB.  I already stated that
upthread, and linked to what appeared to be the most-relevant Lenovo
product page.

But hey, if you see something that suggests otherwise, perhaps you could
help the mailing list (and Alex) by saying where and what it is.

In general, FWIW, I rather love the business-focussed ThinkPad models,
even the old ones.  They tend to make great Linux boxes.

(If shopping for or considering _newish_ ThinkPads, make sure to check
ThinkWiki first.)