[sf-lug] use 32 or 64 bit on 64 bit capable hardware: Re: installing minimal debian and building on that

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Sat Dec 8 18:26:22 PST 2018

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 2:46 PM Alex Kleider <akleider at sonic.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Akkana.  I'm leaning more towards 64bit but will wait to hear
> any further advice that might come in from Rick and/or Michael (or
> anyone else for that matter.)  One of the many virtues of Linux as I
> understand it is that it does work well on old hardware so mine must be
> an issue faced by many.

In the past I would have said that 32-bit would be preferred for
support of legacy hardware, since some devices don't have
64-bit binary blobs, but Debian multi-arch has pretty much
removed those constraints, and I've been able to run legacy
32-bit programs on 64-bit Debian for the past couple of years
without issue.