[sf-lug] installing minimal debian and building on that

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Sat Dec 8 13:17:14 PST 2018

Rick, I can't thank you enough for your answer to this as well as so
many other questions in the past.
After studying it, a quick look at 'cat /proc/meminfo' seemed in order
and the following came up:
"""
MemTotal:        3933692 kB
MemFree:          368748 kB
MemAvailable:    1385608 kB
Buffers:           43076 kB
Cached:          1364376 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:          2442652 kB
Inactive:         798016 kB
Active(anon):    1726280 kB
Inactive(anon):   374412 kB
Active(file):     716372 kB
Inactive(file):   423604 kB
Unevictable:          16 kB
Mlocked:              16 kB
SwapTotal:       2097148 kB
SwapFree:        2097148 kB
Dirty:              1504 kB
Writeback:             4 kB
AnonPages:       1833160 kB
Mapped:           360976 kB
Shmem:            267476 kB
Slab:             210260 kB
SReclaimable:     162460 kB
SUnreclaim:        47800 kB
KernelStack:       12208 kB
PageTables:        48964 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:     4063992 kB
Committed_AS:    7082000 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:           0 kB
VmallocChunk:          0 kB
HardwareCorrupted:     0 kB
.... """

... which I interpret to mean my machine has 4G of RAM (which has served
me well for many years and I fore see no need to increase it- Indeed
that may be the limit for my ThinkPad X301 machine anyway.)  That
coincides with the limit you mention for the (called by Debian) i386 OS.

It's unlikely that either I or my machine will live long enough for 2038
to be a problem!

My guess there fore is that given this additional info, you'd change
your recommendation to i386.

Am I correct?

Alex

PS I've never heard anyone on this list speak ill of top posting
although it is seriously frowned upon by the people at Python Tutor.
Does this list have an opinion?