[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday, December 2, 2018

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Dec 2 23:36:34 PST 2018

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

>     Then a young fellow who wishes for his name not to be mentioned
> so let me dub him "Qubes Guru" or QG.  He helped me advance along
> that path.

Excellent!  Qubes OS is innovative and interesting.

>     From the afternoon's use it became clear that an SSD is a better medium
> that rust (regular HD) for the Qubes and so are faster processors,
> better (more cores)
> Processors and hopefullly eventually Meltdown and Spectre-proofed microcode.
> A lot of memory about 16 GiB of ram is advisable as well, though the Guru
> advises 12 GiB.

It is indeed more than usually demanding, but that's not surprising if
you understand how it works.

>     Now curiously enough Victor is mostly using Windows 10 but
> though an Oracle
> Virtual Machine x86 is running a couple of Linux distributions, one
> of which was
> Lubuntu.

[Oracle VM Server for x86:]

>     This is a very similar system to the Qubes but aimed in a somewhat
> different direction.  It chooses the system to be run in a somewhat
> simpler manner than Cubes with a somewhat different intent it seems.
> It also seemed to load the distributions it uses somewhat faster.

Fundamentally different.  They're alike really only in using the Xen
hyptervisor.

Qubes OS is a security-focussed graphical desktop that uses VM isolation
for substantive protection.  The other is not.

>     Don't forget on the 6th of December to give a thought to
> the ancient saint and pagan god, Nicholas.  He is a patron
> of the poor and outsiders in society.  Look for better references
> to his myth than provided in the Catholic sites.

Indeed!  Also, my sister's wedding anniversary.  She and her fiance
originally scheduled it for Dec. 7th, until my sister mention the
planned date to me and I said 'Oh, a date that will live in infamy,
eh?', which lead to my dear sister turning an amazing shade of red and
to a very quick rescheduling.

>     Happy Holidaze!

Happy Festivus!