[sf-lug] Fwd:Re:Job: DevOps/Sysadmin/Linux contractor (Verizon Wireless client) in Walnut Creek... etc.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 9 20:15:00 PST 2018

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):

> IIRC, there was actually such a job posting from a primary discussed
> on one of the Bay Area Linux mailing-lists within the last dozen or
> so years, which described the desired candidate as having something
> like 15 or more years of hands-on experience with one or more Linux
> distributions and one or more shells in addition to bash. Which is
> ironic because in 2005, going back "15 or more years of hands-on
> experience" would have required candidates to have that hands-on
> experience just before or soon after Linus Torvalds started
> developing the initial Linux kernels in the first place!!
> Couldn't yet find that particular Worst Linux job ad on the Bay Area
> LUG lists, so if someone knows of that particular ad I'm referring
> to just above, please feel free to speak up :-)
> Rick M?

Sorry, don't have that -- but the cluelessness of experience
requiremennts in some job requisitions is the stuff of legend, indeed
(e.g., a supposed requirement for more years of Ruby on Rails experience
than is possible given the year it was invented).

> 2. Must have over ten years of direct hands-on experience working
> with all the following technologies: C/Perl/shell programming and
> debugging for automated jobs; webpage creation and editing using
> HTML 4.0; Lotus Notes server maintenance; Windows 2000 and 2003
> servers with IIS; Cisco routers with Cisco IOS; MacOS 9 and Mac OS X
> with AppleTalk; multiplatform Oracle DBMS systems maintenance with
> SQL; Red Hat and GmbH Suse Linux; all applicable LAN and WAN
> technologies; TCP/IP, NetBIOS, SONET, Frame-relay, ISDN, local DSL,
> local 56k dial-up, ... etcetera.

And a shrubbery!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIV4poUZAQo
And _another_ shrubbery, slightly higher so you get a two-level effect
with a little path going down the middle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvsGdJP3ng

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ!  (4x80)