[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday November 4, 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Nov 5 11:34:03 PST 2018

Hi LUGers,

     Well a small but pretty lively meeting.
     Got to the Cafe about 1040 preceded by Aaron C. and John S.

     Aaron was looking for a copy of Anti-X Linux and he carried off a
nice flash drive full of it.  He later participated with Ken S. installing
a Linux application adapter to an Android Tablet.   He mentioned
it on the mailing list earlier.

     John S. had the HP with Centrino dual core laptop.  He used it
to try out a lot of distribution that I brought on Flash Drives.  He
even got Open Indiana online.  John bought me a decaf soy latte
and we so proceeded.  by the way he wants a $100 US for the
HP laptop and the battery may need replacement.  If I hadn't
gotten into debt over the refurbished Dell E6540 i might have
gotten it from him.  It seemed compatible with all but Linux
Lite.

     11:10 Ken S. and his charming wife showed up about the same
time as Tom.  Ken was showing off his tablet with the Linux application
adapter on it.  You can use it with either Debian or Ubuntu repositories
by the way.

     I also questioned Ken regarding the removal of the external
plastic bezels on DVD/CD R/W drives.  The one with my newly
refurbished E6540 failed after install and nothing would get the
disk out.   Ken had no idea but before leaving I did a little search
and found some information.   The problem is that I have several
drives used by Dell but the other drives have wider plastic bezels
than the 6540 model.  Oh yes by the way everyone asks so let me
say that I tried the paperclip trick without any luck.

     Tom was at first intent on getting his lunch inside himself but then
started to do updates.  Later he stuck around to do more.

     Michael showed up finally about Noon and we talked a bit.  He asked
some questions about the KDE Plasma 5 and Redshift.  I installed some
updates and Redshift.  Redshift is a programs that modifies the color
temperature according to the Time of day to decrease the wakeful
blue of the display.  I was surprised to find it in the PCLinuxOS
repositories.

     Meantime I booted up Linux Lite 4.2 on the Dell E6540 and could not
get it online.
     I also tried out Manjaro 18 KDE Plasma 5 version and it was very
nice and used a new Network manager that made it very simple
to get online.  It had a kernel of 4.19.02 I believe the very latest
version I have seen.
     Manjaro is really very nice.
     Kali 2018.4 Using KDE Plasma 5 used the same feature.  Of course
it is loaded with anti-intrusion and intrusion detection programs.
     A little light on other categories but I think they have a home
edition which has everything you want.

     My opinion of Linux Lite is that it is not Lite but is using Linux.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     So the next meeting will be on Monday November 19, 2018.
Only 3 Meetings left in 2018.
     I will have versions of Parrot security release and have downloaded
the KDE experimental variant already.
     Overnight the Full version being torrented hung but i imagine
i will have it and home versions.

     On the 12th the regular meeting notice will be out.

     Bobbie Sellers