[sf-lug] SF-LUG meets Sunday 4 November 2018

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Oct 29 11:05:53 PDT 2018

Hi LUGers,

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
and every third Monday from 6 P.M. to 8 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

     These meetings are usually lightly attended with a high for the
year so far of 7 members.   If you have a problem come along
and maybe we can help but if not we can usually find someone
who can.

     Added to the distribution library:
     ==================================

     Ubuntu Studio 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish amd64
     This is aimed at content producers with Audio, Video,
Graphics and even fiction  production tools.  As well
  it has a full set of LibreOffice tools.  For demonstration
purposes I have a copy on a 4 Gigabyte USB Flash Drive.
  It has most of the usual Internet tools including
  Firefox and Thunderbird.
        With the tools on board it would make a good
general distribution.  It uses XFCE.
     Installation is tricky and more demanding than I expected.
     I managed to unintentional wipe the MS install that was
there but I learned a bit.  I hope to get it configured so that
the text displayed is somewhat larger before the meeting.
Oh this is on a Dell E6540 with full HD screen.
     Basic install was pretty fast but the updates and some
special tools seemed to take a long time.  I added Synaptic
and it seems faster acting.
     ==================================

         Open Indiana 2018.10 will be at the meeting
on a Flash Drive that is OI-hipster-gui-20181023.usb
     One member caught the discussion on the mailing
list and expressed interest.  I had to do a second
download because the first one could not pass
the checksum.
     It booted up nicely but lacks tools you would
find in a equivalent-sized Linux Distribution.
     It uses Mate and could easily be confused
with a Linux distribution but come to the
meeting and I will load it up from the Flash Drive
and you can see for yourself.
     ==================================

If Joseph P. makes it to the meeting we will have a late
issue of the Linux Pro magazine but I doubt I will see
a later issue on the news stands before that.

If I find a new release of a significant Linux distribution
I will bring it to the meeting.

     Have a Happy Halloween on the 31st.

     Remember to reset your clocks before bedtime
on November 3rd as Daylight Saving Time ends
and Standard Time returns.

     I would hate to leave just as a member showed
up for the meeting, thinking that there was an
hour to go.  But I will be there by 11 AM ST
assuming no fires, floods, riots, Muni strikes or
other rebellions.

     Hope to see you Sunday November 4!

     Bobbie Sellers