[sf-lug] (forw) Re: The LUG list is back and just in time...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 26 01:07:12 PDT 2018

Forwarding back on-list.

----- Forwarded message from Todd Hawley <celticdm at gmail.com> -----

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 00:53:42 -0700
From: Todd Hawley <celticdm at gmail.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] The LUG list is back and just in time...

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:40 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

Quoting Todd Hawley (celticdm at gmail.com):

> > Thanks Rick for posting that history of Solaris.
>
> You're quite welcome.  I'm sure I cut corners a lot, skipped vast, vast
> amounts of detail, and probably committed sundry heinous inaccuracies
> despite best intentions.

True enough but I'm sure you covered the basics. Perhaps there's a Solaris
historian on the list that can fill in any important part you left out. :p

> FWIW, I'm actually pretty fond of Solaris (albeit not so much of SMF,
> the Service Management Facility that replaced System V Init in recent
> Solaris releases).

Yeah I haven't used Solaris in a really long time so I have no idea if
it'd still be fun for me to use or not.

> > I worked at Sun on contract gigs 3 or 4 times back in the 90s (at
> > their huge Milpitas campus right along 880, their Mtn View campus
> > right in back of Shoreline Marshland and Menlo Park, next to 101).
>
> My wife and I used to say that the Dumbarton Bridge had Sun-to-Sun
> connectivity, given the company campuses on each end.

True enough. I remember when Sun built that campus in Newark. All the
local realtors fell all over each other trying to sell houses to Sun
employees. I ran into one of my ex-co-workers at Sun on BART recently
who told me Oracle took over the old Agnews Mental Health facility in
Santa Clara and put some ex-Sun employees there. My former co-worker
offered to work at home and probably gained himself an extra year or two
of employment by doing that. He eventually saw massive layoffs coming
and retired before Oracle could lay him off. As for Sun Quentin (at the
other end of the bridge), I never got to work there.

> > I thought Solaris was dead (and technically it is), but it's good to
> > know that it lives on in other forms.
>
> In fairness, Oracle Solaris is very much alive.  I just tend to be more
> interested in its open source cousins (the several illumos-based
> distos), unless someone's paying me to (e.g.) administer a bunch of
> Oracle storage appliances, in which case I grit my teeth and review my
> old notes about SMF.  ;->

I'm going to have to check out the Illumos-based distros soon then.

-th

----- End forwarded message -----